Hawaii Broadband Hui Celebrates Digital Inclusion Week with Statewide Schedule of Events and Activities
Get connected to local events and activities to promote digital equity from October 3-7, 2022
HONOLULU (September 29, 2022) – Building on the national observance of Digital Inclusion Week, the Hawaii Broadband Hui will hold special events including digital literacy trainings, virtual webinars and more from October 3-7, 2022, to bring awareness and continue to advocate for digital equity in Hawaii. Digital Inclusion Week is an annual campaign put on by the National Digital Inclusion Alliance (NDIA) to highlight digital inclusion efforts and promote digital equity across the country through local events and campaigns. This year’s theme “Turning Our Moment into Movement,” signals a turning point and time of action for the digital inclusion movement.
Governor David Ige recently proclaimed October 3-7, 2022, as Digital Inclusion Week in Hawaii, prioritizing Broadband for A.L.L. (Access, Literacy and Livelihood) as the state works towards closing the digital divide. Similar declarations have also been made at the county level.
“We’re looking forward to this milestone week to advance digital access, literacy, and livelihood and to kick off programs that aim to close the digital divide and achieve digital equity across Hawaii,” said Burt Lum, broadband strategy officer for the Hawaii Broadband & Digital Equity Office, State of Hawaii.
Residents can look forward to the following events and activities in celebration of Digital Inclusion Week:
- Hawaii County will hold a “Digital Equity Showcase” at Hilo Public Library on October 4, 2022. The event will showcase digital literacy and support programs available on Hawaii Island.
- Free, in-person Digital Ready Hawaii digital literacy classes, hosted by Kaʻala Souza will be held on October 3, 2022, at the Molokai MEO office and on October 5, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Papakolea Community Center. These classes will provide digital and computer skills training for those in need to thrive in this high-tech world. For more information, visit http://digitalreadyhawaii.org/.
- Digital Inclusion Week Webinar on October 4, 2022, from 3:00 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. The virtual webinar will be held over Zoom and focused on information about working remotely and its potential to create equity of opportunity for Hawaii residents, as well as the need for digital inclusion. Interested attendees can register through this link.
- Sign Up for the Affordable Connectivity Program in-person at Palama Settlement’s 125th anniversary celebration on October 8, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Representatives will be available to help eligible Hawaii residents sign up for the program in-person and answer any questions.
- Pacific Basin Telehealth Resource Center’s Social Media Challenge is taking place all week long, with participants eligible to win a Starbucks gift card. For more information and how to enter, visit www.pbtrc.org.
For more information on Hawaii’s Digital Inclusion Week as well as local events and activities taking place across the state, visit broadband.hawaii.gov/diw22.
About Hawaii Broadband Hui
For nearly two years, the Hawaii Broadband Hui has brought together more than 500 diverse partners who have collaborated, each within their own ability, to increase Hawaii’s digital capacity, thereby supporting the continuity of social connections, education, employment, and access to other essential services throughout the pandemic. The Hui has supported broadband infrastructure development in rural communities, provided digital devices for students and families, supported the accessibility of telehealth, provided information on low-cost internet options, and adopted a Digital Equity Declaration to set a vision and goals for a more equitable digital future. The Hui practices a unique collaborative spirit of otherwise disparate parties, convening partners to collectively focus on doing good for our residents.