Makawao, Maui- On Friday, July 21, 2017, Makawao hosts the “Summer of Love” from 6 – 9 p.m. in Historic Makawao Town. Baldwin Avenue will be closed for guests. There will be entertainment, food trucks and booths, arts and crafts, a Keiki Zone, along with local shopping boutiques, shops and restaurants. This is a rain or shine free community event.
LIVE MUSIC AND ENTERTAINMENT:
● Electric Church Maui, near the main stage next to Rodeo General Store. They’ll thrill the crowd with the sounds of Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Eric Clapton and other rock legends of the 60s and 70s.
● Maui Hands Art Gallery lot across from Casanova’s will have a live performance with songster Josh playing his acoustic guitar.
● The Get Up and Dance Troupe offers entertaining street line dancing.
● Makawao Steak House features new entertainment monthly.
● Maui Classic Cruisers Club will be showing off their hot rods at the top of Baldwin Avenue and bottom by Brewer Road.
● Artists Max Ross, mixed media artist and Dylan Kauz, live painter, spray can artist, and community muralist, will be painting and showcasing their art creations next to the mainstage.
● A new information booth in the Maui Hands lot. The booth is located on Makawao Avenue and a place where volunteers can answer visitor questions, offer a lost & found section, and new Makawao Town merchandise will be available for sale.
● Makawao Buddhist Temple will be having its Bon Dance celebration from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Bon Odori (Japanese: 盆踊り), meaning simply bon dance, is a style of dancing performed during obon.
KOMODA BAKERY KEIKI ZONE:
● Not just for kids! The Komoda Keiki Zone this month features the MAUI SPIDER JUMP.
● Crystalline’s balloon twisting creations, Melissa Buck of Rainbow Art has face painting, and more.
SILENT AUCTIONS AND STORE SPECIALS: Maui Hands Art Gallery presents their featured resident artist this month Jack Hamilton. Jack has been a silversmith for over 40 years and a fine art oil painter for over 20 years. He loves painting from nature and says he feels very fortunate to paint “en plein air” (in the open) on Maui.
M3F FOOD COURT & RESTAURANTS: Makawao restaurants will be open, or enjoy a pop up food court along Baldwin Avenue.
FREE PARKING IS AVAILABLE:
● Makawao Base Yard (Across from St. Joseph’s Church)
● 2 Parking lots on Brewer Road
● Makawao Municipal Parking Lot on Makawao Avenue
CLOSED TO M3F: Makawao Buddhist Temple parking lot due to OBON Festival
More at www.makawaomerchants.org.